Johnson

Johnson

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

5 am feedings

Well, I knew it would happen at some point. It was inevitable. It always happens when you have a baby in the house. Our little Clay is an AMAZING sleeper. I mean really, he is a sleeping pro!! Since he was 8 weeks old, he has been sleeping though the night. For the past two months I always went to bed wondering if this would be the night he would wake-up and I would deal with the "do I nurse him, or just try to get him to go back to sleep" dilemma most moms find themselves in at one point or another. I began to get REALLY use to Clay sleeping until at least 7 am if not later, so I was quite surprised to hear him crying at 5 am this morning. At first, I just thought, ok, maybe he will cry it out and go back to sleep. He really wasn't "crying" it was more of a whine. Anyway, he only got louder and it sounded more and more like a cry, so after about 15 min I decided I should probably do something about it. At first I tried the paci and well, he's not a fan of the paci, so that didn't work too well. So, I just gave in and nursed him. He nursed and than went right back to bed and slept til 9am!
Rob and I were really sick on Monday, throwing up and everything and I think Clay had a touch of the virus too. He slept A LOT on Monday, and ended-up with one less feeding than normal. But slept great that night. He slept quite a bit on Tuesday too and he had one less feeding. I thought maybe he was coming to the point where he only needed 5 feedings a day instead of 6, but maybe I was wrong. So, I guess when I think about the fact that I had not really eaten anything or really drank anything on Monday, and even Tuesday I did not eat as much as normal, I am sure my milk supply was not really up to par on Tuesday plus the fact that he had one less feeding, I'm sure those were factors in the 5 am feeding. Today we are back to the 6 feedings and we will see how he does tonight. Hoping that this whole 5 am waking is not going to become a pattern we are going to have to break. I know... I know... I really have nothing to complain about. I understand that Clay is an AMAZING sleeper and there are plenty of moms out there still waking up in the middle of the night to have to feed their 4 month old. I guess, I was just so surprised because he has not woken up for 2 months. And really, 5 am is not that bad! I guess some people would really not consider that a "night feeding," but this mom is NOT a morning person and does not want to start her day at 5 am. We will see how tonight goes...

2 comments:

Chip Burkitt said...

Made me laugh. It wasn't crying kids that made me a morning person. It was coffee. It's worth waking up for.

-C said...

sounds like you handled the inevitable like a pro. i think you're right on about you being sick. kudos to you.