Johnson

Johnson

Monday, December 07, 2009

Do we really understand what poverty is?

This is driving me crazy and I just need a place to blow some steam. Blogging seemed like a good place.
I don't know if this has to do with living in a third world country for 10 months or what, but I am SO TIRED of hearing about how bad the economy is. I mean, SO TIRED!!! Do Americans REALLY know what it is like to be poor? I don't think there is one person in America who TRULY understands what it means to be poor. Here we are moping around complaining about how our retirement might be in a little bit of trouble or how you can't spend thousands of dollars on Christmas (only hundreds this year). We live in our 3 bedroom, 1500 sq. feet houses with air conditioning and heating. Our pantries are full of food we never eat and will probably just be thrown away once it expires. I mean really people. Wake up and open your eyes beyond your 401Ks. Do you know what poverty really is??? It's the little girl in Africa whose parents have died of AIDS, she is now homeless, taking care of her 3 younger siblings and can't even find clean water. It's the two little kids that came to our front door in the Philippines with dirty torn shirts (no pants) asking for a clean shirt to wear. It's the family of 15 in Thailand, living in a one room shack made out of things here and there they found in the trash. AMERICA, YOU ARE RICH BEYOND BELIEF! Stop complaining about how you can only afford 2 cars instead of 3. How you aren't going to become a millionaire when you retire, and start thinking about people around the world who have FAR LESS than you could ever imagine having. So next time you think about how bad the economy is, start thinking about the little girl in Africa, or the two little kids in the Philippines, or the family in Thailand. Shut your mouth, open your eyes, and be grateful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding all of us,Just how rich we really are.Those who know Jesus are rich beyond measure.

Miss MIssa

Renee said...

Well, I'm sure you know this already but I totally agree with you. The poorest people here are rich compared to millions of people around the world. I would say that everyone needs to go to Africa or Asia or South America for a week and find out what true poverty, but I wonder if that would even help...

Carpenters said...

That's right, girl. Blow some steam:) People have no idea.

Chip Burkitt said...

Wow! Christina, you always seemed like such a sweet girl. I didn't know you could be angry. This is what I call a rant, and a very good one, too. If you would like to be a guest on blog.orderingchaos.com, just let me know. I will set up an account for you.

-C said...

Well spoken.

Unknown said...

Christina - Thank you for saying what has been driving me NUTS! I just came back a couple of weeks ago from my second trip to Tanzania Africa. I have met that girl, the 2 little kids, and that family!
Renee - I think it would help. Everyone that I know personally that has been in 3rd world countries would most likely agree.
Chip - Thanks for steering me to Christina's blog.
May God continue to bless you SO THAT you can be a blessing to His children!

Anonymous said...

Amen Christina... I wish that more people would go oversea to really see what it's like. Gosh, in Afghanistan they give the best to their guest even if they have none. They will go to their neighbors house asking for something, anything to serve their guest. Even in America for us "Poor missionaries" we still have the access to money whether we have or someone else has it. I know so many people who are truly living by faith to survive and we serve a HUGE God who is so much bigger then money and 401Ks. Well spoken my friend :-D

Anonymous said...

I too have been over seas and seen the poor and then come back and had a hard time with the western world talking about what it means to be poor. However, dont jump and say that Americans dont know what it means to be poor - there are Americans who starve, there are americans who are homeless. Yes it is less then other places, however, the poor are truly everywhere... I just pray that God opens our eyes to see that.