Johnson

Johnson

Thursday, January 05, 2012

A MUCH Needed Thankful Heart

This seems pretty personal, but I feel like I need a little accountability here. And it seems writing something on my blog for the whole world to see is quite the accountability partner.... And so...
I've decided that I am a pretty cynical person. I always seem to see the glass as half empty. There are definitely moments were I am grateful and can see the good, but lately I just seem to always be this grumpy wife and mother. My thinking is the problem comes from a lack of thankfulness. And so, I have decided I need to make an effort to begin this new year with a grateful attitude. Afterall, I have a MILLION things to be grateful for. TRUELY. Not so sure how much I will be able to blog about this, but I'm going to make an effort to daily write down things I am thankful for (a practice I have heard so much about lately and NOW is the time to implement this practice). A thankful heart is MUCH needed in my life right now. I can't continue on being this way. For the sake of my relationship with my husband, my children, and MOST importantly, my GOD, I MUST do this. My attitude as the "keeper of this household" affects everyone here and I have got to change. Without further ado... here's the beginning.

#1 I'm thankful for a safe 19 hour road trip home from Nebraska. Cars can be dangerous and I am so grateful we made it home safely.
#2 I'm thankful for a good reliable car the Lord has blessed us with which keeps the anxiety of traveling to a minimum! ;)
#3 I'm thankful for this moment right now. Zeke is sleeping away and Clay is entertained momentarily by a video which gives mommy this quiet moment to begin something I have needed to do for a LONG time.
#4 Because I have been thinking about this, I decided I wanted to read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Volskamp. Just posted on facebook asking if someone had it an BOOM a few minutes later I'm picking it up TONIGHT! Thanks God for Your provision, even in the small stuff!

4 comments:

Chip Burkitt said...

I don't think you could be a cynic if you tried, but I applaud your resolution to find things every day for which to be thankful.

Marsha said...

And I am so thankful for a beautiful daughter-in-law who is the perfect wife to Rob and who is willing to cheerfully make the long trip to Nebraska in the middle of winter with 2 babies so we can all spend Christmas together.
This is a really good discipline to cultivate. I think I should join you in this. By the end of this year, we should have a really good list of things we are thankful for. Are you writing them in a journal?

Renee said...

Great idea Christina. I think we could all use a nice dose of thankfulness. You'll have to tell me if you like the book. I've seen quite a few people write about how much they love it - but from what they describe it seems like a book I would not like. I look forward to hearing your opinion
!

Andy said...

i got the book for Christmas and have been reading through it. decided to write my list on the blog as well. pretty cool that you both had that idea. there is truly much to be thankful for. hope you enjoy the book.